1. International Officer

    This can be part-time, full-time, paid or voluntary but their remit must include representing international students, international student issues and encouraging a global perspective in all students.
  2. Partnerships

    Can you think of any work you do with the college on international student issues. Do you help them run language clubs or help them welcome international students? Do you speak with them about the issues international students have at board meetings or committees? Do you work with student services and help them to engage with international students or refer international students there for help? Perhaps you have been involved with your college internationalisation strategy?
  3. Induction and Integration

    This can include information just for international students at induction or freshers’ events or student officers speaking with international students. Having a Facebook page for international students or a specific area for information relevant to international students on your college union website or VLE (virtual learning environment, like moodle or blackboard) is also an example of this. Also signs and posters that have a key word in different languages can count alongside having international materials or posters in your students’ union office.
  4. Working with NUS and other Students’ Unions

    This can include sending an officer to the NUS International Students’ Conference or sending officers to the NUS international officer training or your international officer to any other NUS training. You might be putting on joint events with university or college students’ unions. It could be that some of your international students are able to join their international societies. It might be that you keep in touch with the NUS International Committee. If your union was part of the group that were consulted on this toolkit that also counts.